Find worked solutions for different exam papers, ask questions and connect with
medical aspirants and students from all over the world.

Home Forums General Discussion Overcoming challenges of facing death and emotional pain as a doctor. Reply To: Overcoming challenges of facing death and emotional pain as a doctor.

• Gabriel Baluyut

March 23, 2021 at 10:27 pm
    86 Replies
    2888 XP
    Up
    Down

I’ve faced a lot of patients death before, and been involved in unsuccessful resuscitations, and even had the chance to cover the body and also check the body with a consultant – before the body was cremated.

Weirdly, the situation of seeing a dead person was not as bad for me. Only because in the Philippines, we have a tradition that when one of our family members die, we bring their coffin to our house for a few weeks to pay our respects and say our goodbyes, so this somehow normalised it for me (as I’ve attended a few of those).

Although, the most painful deaths are the ones where I got to know the patient and their family, or when the patient is very young. I’m always able to overcome the fear of being in the situation, but I don’t think I’ll ever overcome the pain in those type of situations. Nothing can ever prepare you for it. If you think you’re prepared, you aren’t – because when it happens, it’ll hit you. 🥺

Ari Horesh voted up